Video poker is a compelling alternative to the classic casino poker experience. Instead of sitting at a table with a few other gamblers and a dealer, you can sit in front of a screen and gamble at your own pace. Increase your chances of winning by understanding the different winning combinations and playing with a strategy.
HOW TO PLAY
WINNING AT “JACKS OR BETTER”
- CHOOSE A VIDEO POKER MACHINE: You can play online or at your favorite casino. Find machines with good payouts. For example, the payout for a Full House can vary from one to five credits.This information is listed on the payout table. You can reach the payout table from the main menu of the video poker console.
Search around for good machines. If you settle for a machine with a low payout, you’ll lose your money more quickly.
- CHOOSE A POKER GAME ON THE MACHINE: There are many different kinds of poker games to choose from when playing video poker. However, the most popular game is called “Jacks or Better.” This particular game is good for beginners as it offers a high payout with relatively low risk.
If you can’t find a machine that says “Jacks or Better” in the title, look for a Game King machine. These machines usually offer “Jacks or Better” payout options.
- PUT SOME MONEY INTO THE MACHINE: Insert coins, dollar bills, credit cards, or casino club membership cards. This money will be applied towards your credit on the machine. You will use this credit to bet. When you’re finished gambling, your remaining credit will be returned to you as your winnings.
- PLACE YOUR BET: You don’t have to bet all of your money at once. Instead, press the buttons found at the bottom of the screen to add money to your bet. To bet the maximum amount of money possible, press the “Max Bet” button. The more money you bet, the higher the payout will be if you win. Bet the maximum amount of money whenever possible. You’ll have a much higher chance of making your money back.
- PRESS THE “DEAL” BUTTON TO BEGIN THE GAME: The machine will deal you five cards. Click on a card to keep it. Click card again to unselect it. If you don’t have any pairs or winning combinations, you can unselect all of the cards to discard all of them. You can press “deal” twice for each hand. Pressing “deal” will discard all of the unselected cards and give you new ones. If you’re lucky, these new cards will form winning combinations with your old cards.
Keep in mind that unless “Auto Hold” is enabled, the machine won’t automatically hold a winning hand for you.Therefore, be sure you’ve examined your hand well before pressing “deal.”
- COLLECT YOUR WINNINGS: If you have a winning hand, the machine will usually flash “winner” across the screen and give you money. Your payout will be highlighted on the payouts section. The money will go towards your credits. When you’re done, you can collect your winnings all at once.
If you used coins, you will either collect coins from the machine or a slip of paper with your credit amount written on it.
If you use a slot machine club card, you will receive credit on your card.
WINNING AT “JACKS OR BETTER”
- USE A STRATEGY TO PLAY VIDEO POKER: Each kind of poker has a winning strategy associated with it. By following these guidelines, you increase your chances of winning. The most popular poker game, “Jacks or Better,” has an easy-to-follow game strategy and a large variety of winning combinations. Different poker games require different strategies. If you choose to play a game such as “Deuces Wild” or “Joker Poker,” learn those strategies before playing.
- PRESS “DEAL” TO START GAMBLING: If you’re playing “Jacks or Better” the machine will deal you five cards from a deck of 52 cards. However, other kinds of poker games such as “Deuces Wild” and “Joker Poker” have jokers in the deck. This could lower your chances of getting the cards you want. Therefore, most people prefer to play “Jacks or Better.”
- KEEP PAIRS WHEN YOU SEE THEM: Unless you have a high winning combination, choose combinations that are simple: a pair, two pairs, or three of a kind. These hands have smaller payouts but a higher chance of occuring.The payouts for pairs and three of a kinds will be listed on the payout table.
A pair refers to two cards that have the same numerical value, regardless of suit. A low pair can easily convert to a full house or three of a kind if you hold them.
Similarly, the term “three of a kind” refers to three cards that have the same numerical value, regardless of suit. This hand will usually pay out slightly more than a pair would.
- INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING HIGH WINNING COMBINATIONS: If you don’t have any pairs, keep any high face cards to increase your chances of getting a royal flush. If you don’t have any high cards or any pairs, discard your entire hand. Your second deal may give you pairs or a straight.Know when to discard cards. Don’t hang on to high cards over pairs. Getting a lot of pairs will help you break even as you gamble.